The ACLU of New Hampshire seeks an innovative, organized, and dynamic individual to serve as a full-time field organizer. The Smart Justice Field Organizer is a newly-created position with responsibility for organizing and mobilizing a statewide infrastructure of advocates committed to criminal justice reform. Individuals with personal experience with the criminal justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ACLU of New Hampshire is launching a Smart Justice Campaign committed to common-sense justice reforms that enhance public safety, strengthen communities, eliminate racial disparity in the criminal justice system, and cut incarceration rates in half. The Smart Justice Field Organizer will play a significant role in organizing and mobilizing ACLU activists, supporters, and volunteers to advance the priorities of this campaign, including in support of legislative priorities.
The Smart Justice Field Organizer will report to the ACLU-NH Policy Director and will be an integral member of the policy, communications, and organizing teams. This position will be based out of Concord, but will involve significant travel around New Hampshire. This is an excellent opportunity for a talented person with some experience in organizing and looking to make a significant impact on civil liberties, civil rights, and criminal justice reform in New Hampshire.
- Identify, recruit, train, support, and supervise ACLU members and volunteers who have direct experience with the criminal justice system; identify and develop volunteer leaders and teams.
- Organize supporters across the state to work toward achieving the ACLU of New Hampshire’s strategic criminal justice reform objectives, including by identifying people to testify at hearings and meet with legislators.
- Mobilize volunteers to take action on legislative campaigns using a variety of tactics: event attendance, calls, letters, petition signature gathering, canvassing, phone banking, etc.
- Ensure that mobilization efforts are part of long-term organizing and capacity building for the ACLU of New Hampshire, including assisting in setting up and executing volunteer training programs and recruiting and supporting volunteer leaders and volunteer teams.
- Ensure that the interests and vision of impacted communities shape the affiliate’s work on criminal justice reform and elevate leadership within impacted communities and the broader public to help shape campaign goals, strategies, and tactics.
- Develop, strengthen, and nurture alliances with formerly incarcerated people, communities of color, youth groups, and other groups relevant to ACLU issues and campaigns.
- Represent the ACLU of New Hampshire in select coalitions and work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations and partners.
- Develop strategic partnerships with key community-based organizations working in diverse communities across New Hampshire.
- Build strong partnerships with key stakeholders across the state and political spectrum.
- Develop and implement strategies to expand the ACLU-NH’s membership in impacted communities.
- Some experience in community/field organizing and base building, preferably at least one year. This can include volunteer work.
- Some experience in political/advocacy/campaign organizing, with experience working directly with volunteers preferred. This can include volunteer work.
- Experience with the New Hampshire Legislature preferred but not required.
- Personal experience being incarcerated or in other ways impacted by the criminal justice system.
- A history of working collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and a broad range of ideological positions and religious views.
- Knowledge of the opportunities and challenges of building and working in large, diverse coalitions.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Strong team player.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Superb organization skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and to see projects through from planning to follow-up.
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, and willing to learn.
- Strong task and time management skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel across New Hampshire and flexibility to work weekend and evening hours when necessary.
- Personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil rights and civil liberties issues and their implications.
The salary for this position is $32,000. Benefits include generous PTO time, holidays, medical insurance, and 401(k) matching.
Please send letter of interest outlining your interest in this position, your relevant experience, and how your skills will uniquely contribute to advancing ACLU-NH’s criminal justice reform goals. Please put “Smart Justice Field Organizer” in the subject line and send to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but initial interviews are expected in mid-September.
The ACLU-NH is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-NH encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.