The American Civil Liberties Union of New Hampshire is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that works to protect the civil liberties guaranteed to all Granite Staters by the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.
New Hampshire's 2022 legislative session is officially underway. Each year, the ACLU of New Hampshire reviews over 1,200 bills introduced in the New Hampshire Legislature for civil liberties implications, identifying those bills that we are going to advocate for or against and developing strategies accordingly.
During this legislative session, we will work on a broad range of issues including, but not limited to: public safety, systemic equality, redistricting and voting rights, reproductive justice, LGBTQ+ rights, immigrants' rights, and privacy. View our 2022 pre-session report to read more about our legislative priorities this year.
To build safe and just communities, we must build a public safety system that ensures the safety and well-being of all and prioritizes investments in life-affirming services.
- End New Hampshire's War on Marijuana
- Prioritize Harm Reduction
- Don't Roll Back Reforms to NH's Bail System
- Eliminate Inhuman and Counterproductive Punishments
- Rein in Policing for Profit
- Stop Shackling Pregnant People who are Incarcerated
- Hold Law Enforcement Accountable
- Federal Checkpoint Transparency
- Ensure the Presumption of Innocence is Not Flipped on its Head
- Don't Further Erode Community Trust in Law Enforcement.
- Ensure the Right of Immigrants to Obtain NH Driver's Licenses
We must dismantle a system deeply rooted in racist policies, practices, and attitudes that harm Black, Brown, and Indigenous people.
- Teach Children the Full Picture of American History
We must ensure that every pregnant person can make the best decision for themself and their family about whether and when to have a child without undue political interference.
- Prevent the Goverment from Controlling Private Healthcare Decisions
- Protect the Privacy of Granite Staters' Health Care Decisions
- Defeat the NH Health Care Denial Act
- Protect Access to Safe, Legal Abortion
- Don't Give Others an Abortion Veto
We must build a New Hampshire where LGBTQ+ people can live openly without discrimination and enjoy equal rights, personal autonomy, and freedom of expression and association. LGBTQ+ people belong everywhere.
- Support Trans Youth
- Maintain the Prohibition on Conversion Therapy
- Prevent Restrictions on Medical Care for Transgender Youth
We must ensure the right to vote, which is the cornerstone of our democracy and the fundamental right upon which all our civil liberties rest. We must ensure that voters should pick their politicians, and not the other way around.
- Ensure Fair Maps
- Protect the Right to Vote
We must ensure that the use of spying and surveillance technologies by the government, including facial recognition, location-tracking technologies, and communications eavesdropping systems, respect individual’s privacy and are not disproportionately directed towards Black and Brown communities.
- Restrict the Use of Facial Recognition Technology